We provide care and early education for 7 children ages from 1 to 2 years. There are 2 childcare staff in this room. Children attending this room can avail of the CCS Community Childcare Subvention Scheme. We also have a sleep room where children can have a sleep if they wish.
Early Learning and Play in Little Tots
In Little Tots, we believe that play is the most powerful medium through which young children learn. All children in Little Tots Room are encouraged to have a ‘hands on’ approach to play and to actively explore their room in a safe and supervised environment. Some of these activities are table top activities such as 2/3 piece puzzles, building blocks or playing with cars. Many activities are based on the floor on our comfortable rugs. The room is suitable for children who are crawling or just starting to walk and for confident walkers.
They are helped with hand washing and are encouraged to sit down at feed themselves and meal times.
- Learning to wash our hands and sit down for meal times.
- Learning to feed ourselves.
- Table top activities such as simple puzzles, building blocks, tea set, animals.
- Playing on the floor with cars, animals, blocks.
- Messy play- exploring different textures such as paint, corn flour, play dough.
- Home Corner-playing in our kitchen, making dinner.
- Sand play- building sand castles and knocking them down.
- Stories- snuggling up with an adult and sharing a book with them on our sofa.
- Music- learning the actions to new songs and singing along. Playing our musical instruments.
- Dancing and moving to music.
- Outdoors -pushing buggies and carts around, climbing up on our slide, learning to peddle a tricycle.
- Going on walks around the grounds- what can we see.
We follow the Siolta guidelines. These are a national set of standards for early childhood education. They support and guide staff in enhancing the quality of early childhood experiences.
We follow Aistear, the curriculum framework for children from birth to six years in Ireland. It provides information for adults to help them plan for and provide enjoyable and challenging learning experiences, so that all children can grow and develop as competent and confident learners.
SWWFRC is compliant with the Charities Governance Code 2020